Font Size




Menu Style


BUDBROOKE, St Michael 3, 5-3-20 in C

Grid Reference 151/SP258655 Budbrooke Church - Source: Genuki
Postcode CV35 8QL
Peals None
Date Lost 1988
Other Information Church Website


St Michael's was originally built in the 12th Century (c. 1122). It served the local village of Budebroc, which was situated to the north and east of the church building, and surrounding farms. In 1542 the village was wiped out by the Black Death.

By the mid-17th Century the building was in a rather poor state. The steeple had collapsed and the south aisle "much decayed". It was in the Victorian era that the last major structural changes took place and the north and south transepts were built. In 1877, the barracks for the Royal Warwickshire Regiment was created on the site of what is now Hampton Magna and St. Michael's became the battalion church. Largely on account of the Norman Arch in the Church building was classified as having a Grade II listing.

These bells are hung for swing chiming. The C17th frame has four pits. The bells sound approximately 1, 3 and 4 of 4. They were formerly hung for ringing, but were hung dead in 1988, "for structural reasons".  The inscriptions are given in Tilley and Walters' book, "The Church Bells of Warwickshire":

Details of the Bells

1 Hugh Watts, Leicester                     1637  3-2-12  25.12"  1366.0Hz (F-39c)
2 Joseph Smith, Edgbaston                   1724  3-3-12  27.38"  1127.0Hz (D-72c)
3 Edward Newcombe & Hugh Watts, Leicester  c1600  5-3-20  31.875" 1033.0Hz (C-22c)

Photo Gallery

The church c.1910 - looking east
Source: Our Warwickshire 
Plan of the Church
You are here: Home Others Lost Rings Budbrooke