Font Size




Menu Style


NEWBOLD ON AVON St Botolph 10, 12-0-1 in F#

Grid Reference 140/487771 Newbold on Avon Church - Source M Chester
Postcode CV21 1HN
Affiliation Coventry DG
Peals Felstead Database
Sunday 1000-1045 & 1800-1825 (By Arrangement)
Practice Thursday 1930-2100  (By Arrangment)


Set on the main road through the village this church is right beside the old route of the Oxford Canal. Though re-routed in the 19th century, you can still see the original course to the west of the church. The church itself is pleasant and it contains the only ring of 10 in the Rugby Deanery. The church stands just below the summit of a hill in a small churchyard. It dates from the 15th century and is built on the site of an earlier one, indicated by an exposed portion of an early-14th century tiled floor 3 in. below the present level of the nave floor. The chancel was rebuilt in the 19th century, a parapet was added to the south aisle and the whole church reroofed. It consists of a chancel, nave, north and south aisles, north and south porches, and west tower. It is constructed of a mixture of sandstone and limestone rubble with sandstone dressings.

The existing four bells were recast into 5 at the expense of the parish and a further treble added at the cost of the vicar in 1792 at a cost of £91. The canons were removed and the bells retuned and turned in 1929. This was reported in The Ringing World of October 4th 1929:

The first peal on the bells was not rung until 1946:

The inscriptions at this time are given in Tilley and Walters' book, "The Church Bells of Warwickshire":

The bells were a ground floor ring of 6 up to 1977. As stated, they were rehung with a new frame and fittings by Taylors in 1929, but have since been augmented twice first to 8, some thirty years after this was first proposed, and then to 10 and, in between, moved upstairs. The augmentation to 8 necessitated an additional frame above the main one to hold bells three and four. The parish bought two bells from Everton cum Tetworth in Bedfordshire with a combined weight of 6½cwt to use in the casting of the 1977 trebles. This was reported in The Ringing World of January 27th 1978. The dedication was reported on May 12th:

(click to enlarge)

The first peal on the ring of 8 was rung in 1979:

The ringing chamber was moved from the ground floor in 1986.

The plan to augment to 10 was revealed in an article in The Ringing World of August 14th 1992:

Click to enlarge)

The upper frame was extended on augmentation to 10. Bells 2, 3, 7, 8, 9 & 10 are in the lower frame and the others in the upper frame. The Biant bells have all been quarter turned, the Taylor bells have not. The first peal on the 10 was rung in 1993:

Nicholson's carried out work to the bells to improve their odd-struckness in 2004. At this point the 7th was found to be cracked in the crown and it was welded by Soundweld. The frame was completed newly painted and some minor work carried out to the wheel irons and hastings runners by Taylors in April/May 2021.

The tenor's frequency equates to F#+8c and is therefore not in F as has been recorded in Dove up to 2007.

There is limited parking by the churchyard gate and the entrance is on the north side of the tower.

Details of the Bells

 1 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough  1992   3-2-16  23.50"   1874.0Hz (A#+9c)
 2 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough  1992   3-2-22  24.25"   1668.0Hz (G#+7c)
 3 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough  1977   3-3-18  25.375"  1488.0Hz (F#+9c)
 4 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough  1977   4-2-18  26.325"  1402.0Hz (E#+6c)
 5 John Briant, Hertford           1792   5-0-26  29.50"   1249.0Hz (D#+6c)
 6 John Briant, Hertford           1792   5-3-04  31.00"   1114.0Hz (C#+8c)
 7 John Briant, Hertford           1792   6-2-09  33.625"   992.0Hz (B+7c)
 8 John Briant, Hertford           1792   7-0-20  34.00"    938.0Hz (A#+11c)
 9 John Briant, Hertford           1792   9-1-06  37.75"    835.0Hz (G#+9c)
10 John Briant, Hertford           1792  12-0-01  41.375"   743.5Hz (F#+8c)

Photo Gallery

newbold2_small newbold3_small
The Boughton Tomb. The C15 tomb of Galfridu Allisley
and his wife Elianora
newbold4_small newbold_scaffolding_small
Ringers on the C15 tomb of
Galfridu Allisley and his wife Elianora
The Tower in June 2013
The Church - Looking East.Source: Adian MadRae Thomson The Church - Looking West.Source: Adian MadRae Thomson
 The Church - Looking East The Church - Looking West 
One of the trebles in the newly painted frame  Looking up at the newly painted top frame
The newly painted lower frame  

You are here: Home Rings M-O Newbold on Avon