Font Size




Menu Style


HARBURY All Saints 8, 12-0-3 in G

Grid Reference 151/374600 Harbury Church - Source: Mapio
Postcode CV33 9EY
Recording None Available
Affiliation Coventry DG
Peals Felstead Database
Sunday 0820 - 0900 (1st Sunday)  0950 - 1030 (Others) &
1750 - 1830 (Summer) 1520 - 1600 (Winter)
Practice Friday 1930-2100
Other Information Church Website


A pleasant church with a stone and brick tower. The church of  has a 13th-century chancel with lancet windows. The southwest tower is later 13th-century, also with lancet windows. The south and north aisles and arcades were added in about 1300. The font and the embattled top of the tower are Georgian additions. In 1873 the church was restored and the south aisle widened and new Gothic Revival windows inserted in the east and north walls of the chancel. The stained glass in several of the windows is from the 1890s.  The tower was rebuilt betweem 1811-13 at a cost of £1026 and a new ring of 5 supplied by Thomas Mears of Whitechapel, tenor 13-0-8 at a cost of £113/7/8, plus £5/1/3 for carriage and £2/8/0 for new ropes. There is a picture in the ringing room showing an unfulfilled plan to rebuild using stone, this plan including a spire. Prior to this the number of bells is uncertain. There were certainly three bells and a sanctus bell in 1552.

An article about the church and bells appeared in The Ringing World of March 13th 1953:

Click to enlarge)

An article also appeared in The Ringing World on March 12th 1971, the Central Council being in the area that year:

and again on December 17th 1976:

The inscriptions of the ring of 5 are given by Tilley and Walters in their book, "The Church Bells of Warwickshire":

The bells have been augmented twice by Taylors since WWII, first to 6 in 1959, when the old 5 were recast and the ring rehung in a metal frame for 6, dedicated on Monday October 26th, and then again in 1982 to 8. Metal from the redundant ring of 3 at Winderton (q.v.) was used to cast the trebles, (bells actually cast in 1981, dedicated in 1982). The bells sound well and go easily. They were all cast with flat tops.

The first, and only, peal on the ring of 5 was rung in 1928:

The first peal on the new ring of 6 was rung in 1960

In the  augmentation to eight four castings from the old frame from St. Stephen, Clapham Park, Surrey were used to extend the frame to take the new treble bells (a Gillett & Johnston job of 1919 - the bells are now at Spitalfields).

The first peal on the ring of 8 was rung in December of 1981

There is a reasonable amount of on-street parking by the church. The tower door is found inside the church, to the left.

Details of the Bells

1 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough  1981   3-3-15  23.625"  1575.0Hz (G+8c)
2 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough  1981   4-1-12  24.25"   1488.0Hz (F#+9c)
3 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough  1959   4-1-17  25.375"  1318.0Hz (E-1c)
4 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough  1959   4-2-00  27.00"   1173.0Hz (D-2c)
5 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough  1959   5-1-25  29.50"   1042.0Hz (C-7c)
6 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough  1959   6-1-20  31.50"    982.0Hz (B-10c)
7 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough  1959   8-0-22  34.50"    872.0Hz (A-16c)
8 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough  1959  12-0-03  38.25"    776.0Hz (G-18c)

Details of the Previous Bells

1 Thomas Mears, London            1811   6-1-07
2 Thomas Mears, London            1811   7-0-24
3 Thomas Mears, London            1811   8-1-00
4 Thomas Mears, London            1811   9-2-27
5 Thomas Mears, London            1811  13-0-08

Photo Gallery

harbury2_small harbury3_small harbury4_small
The Ringing Room The Church -
Looking East
 The Organ

You are here: Home Rings F-I Harbury