Font Size




Menu Style


FOLESHILL, St Laurence 3 7½cwt - Unringable

Grid Reference 140/353825 Foleshill Church - Source: David Kelly
Postcode CV6 7ED
Recording None Available
Affiliation Coventry DG
Peals None
Sunday None
Practice None
Additional Information Unringable Church Website


This tower is in part of Coventry. It is NOT the brick built tower on Foleshill Road, this St Paul's church which has a single bell. It is further away from the city centre, near the canal, on the B4082, Old Church Road.

The first church building here was probably a modest estate chapel provided by Lady Godiva, which was replaced by a sandstone chapel in c.1150. The tower (50ft in height) was built in the 15th Century and the north aisle was added in 1530. In 1782 the old Norman Chancel was demolished and replaced with the present structure. In 1815 the Revd. Nunn’s powerful preaching attracted such crowds that the church was enlarged to seat 900! A south aisle was added and instead of stone arcades, slender, cast-iron columns were used, a successful architectural ploy 30 years ahead of its time. Galleries on either side provided the extra seating. A side chapel was added in 1927. By 1888 the church was in need of radical repair.  If you look up in the chancel you can see that the oak pews were used to provide a new ceiling. The galleries must have been removed at this time. The ancient roof beams in the nave – the oldest woodwork left in the church – have a Tudor rose boss in the centre. The church is a Grade IIa listed building.

These bells are unringable to the point of being derelict. There is an ancient frame. layout 3.1, and fittings, the wheels being sawn off and the stocks braced to frame to prevent movement. Ellacombe chimes have been fitted. There is a rope attached to the tenor clapper which has a muffle on one side and is used for funerals. The trebles are very nearly the same note, the tenor a minor third below.

The inscriptions can be found in "The Church Bells of Warwickshire" by Tilley and Walters

The organ occupies the high ground stage of the tower and there is a low clock-room between this and the bells. Restoration would therefore be very difficult.

The Bell News of February 6th 1904 reports:

"FOLESHILL, WARWICKSHIRE. F. A. Newdigate Newdigate, Esq., M .P., formally started a large chiming clock at St. Lawrence’s Cnurch, Foleshill, on the 19th January, which has been erected as a memorial to the late Dr. Orton. The clock has four 5-ft. 6-in. dials, chimes the quarters and strikes the hours, and is fitted with all modern improvements so as to be a perfect timekeeper. The whole of the work has been carried out by Messrs. John Smith and Sons, Midland Clock Works, Derby"

Details of the Bells

1 Hugh Watts II, Leicester  1635  4½cwt  29.00"   1057.0Hz (C+17c)
2 Hugh Watts II, Leicester  1616  6cwt   32.125"  1031.0Hz (C-26c)
3 Hugh Watts II, Leicester  1616  7½cwt  34.50     860.5Hz (A-39c)

 Photo Gallery

You are here: Home Rings F-I Foleshill