Font Size




Menu Style


COLESHILL SS Peter & Paul 10, 14-0-24 in F#

Grid Reference 139/201890 Coleshill Church - Source: Mike Chester
Postcode B46 3AJ
Affiliation St Martin's Guild
Peals Felstead Database
Sunday 0900-0930 & 1800-1830
Practice Tuesday 1930-2100


The oldest part of the current church dates from the 14th century, but the Norman font suggests a much earlier date for the foundation of the church. In the Anglo-Saxon period Coleshill was a "Minster" church serving a wide area. The church was extensively restored in 1868. All the external masonry was renewed and the plaster of the internal stonework was either scraped or replaced.

The church has a large tower and a tall spire. It can be seen for many miles around and it was used as a lookout post in WWII, being then the tallest vantage point in the area.

There were bells in the medieval tower. When the spire was struck by lightning in 1550 two bells were sold to pay for repairs. The spire was rebuilt some 5 metres shorter; it was rebuilt again in 1888. In 1720 Joseph Smith of Edgbaston recast the old ring of five bells as a five and added a new treble. The inscriptions at this time are given in Tilley and Walters' book, "The Church Bells of Warwickshire":

The ring was augmented to eight by Taylors in 1923 by the addition of two trebles.   This mysterious note appeared in The Ringing World of August 31st 1923: "The peal of sis at Coleshill, Warwickshire, are shortly to be augmented to eight through the generosity of a gentleman, who, for the present, desires to remain anonymous.".

The first peal on the bells was rung shortly before the augmentation:


The following appeared in The Ringing World of January 18th 1924:

Saturday, January 5th, was a red-letter day in the history of ringing at Coleshill, when upwards of 30 members o f the Warwickshire Guild assembled at the invitation of the local society (and in the words of the Vicar) ‘ to give the new Trebles, in conjunction with the old six, a good shaking up.' The new bells had been dedicated on New Year’s Eve at the midnight service, and on the augmented peal the entry of the New Year was welcomed by the local band. For the special meeting members were present from Allesley, Birmingham. Burton-on-Trent, Chilvers Coton, Coventry, Derby, Erdington, Loughborough, Nuneaton, Solihull, Sutton Coldfield, Stoke, together with the local band, the party including several ladies.

Messrs. Taylor and Co., of Loughborough, with their usual skill, have made an excellent splice of tho bells, and have hung the new trebles in ball bearings. The bells having been raised in peal, the opening touch was one of Stedman Triples, conducted by the district secretary, Mr. Bernard Witchell. The hand stood as follows : B. W . Witchell 1, Miss Gladys Dodds 2, J. Oldham 3, T. W . Chapman 4, H. Argyle 5, A. Wilkerson 6, F. W . Clayton 7, .T. F. Clarke 8. A large company assembled in the tower during this touch, and, shortly after, a disappointing incident occurred. The ringer of the 2nd in some Kent Treble Bob unfortunately missed the sally, with the result the stay broke, and the accident caused some delay in the ringing.

Tea was provided in the Assembly Room at the Swan Hotel, presided over bv the Vicar (the Archdeacon of Aston), supported by Mr. Fifield, the donor of the bells, to whom the members are grateful for his kind hospitality.

The Vicar said how pleased he was to see so many present, and although ho thought they had done all that was required in completing tho octave, he learned from the secretary that the old six required rehanging.

Mr. Fifield endorsed the Vicar's remarks, and said he was pleased to do what ho had done in giving the two trebles. He was an old ringer himself, and his son was now a ringer at the old church, which was always first in his thoughts. He was thankful God had prospered him, and he knew of no better way of showing his thankfulness, than giving something back in the form of the bells, to call the parishioners to His worship.

Mr. A. Roberts. Ringing Master, and Mr. A. W ilkerson, hon. general secretary, congratulated the village of Coleshill on having a peal of eight, and hoped the day was not far distant when the parishioners generally would follow the example of Mr. Fifield and put the old six in peal ringing order worthy of the grand old church.

The methods rung during the afternoon and evening included Grandsire and Stedman Triples. Kent Treble Bob M ajor, Cambridge and Bristol Surprise."

The first peal on the 8 was rung shortly after the trebles were installed:

The back six were rehung on ball bearings by Taylor in 1933. The tenor was on a Barwell cast iron stock of c.1907, the rest on wooden stocks. (CJP)

The church was the "front page tower" in The Ringing World of August 29th 1975:

Click to enlarge)

These bells were an anti-clockwise ring until 1977, when 8 new bells were cast around the existing two trebles and the whole ring was rehung in a new, clockwise, lowside frame.  

The Smith tenor had a scrapping weight of 12-2-22.

Two of the old ring of 3 at Nether Whitacre were bought by Coleshill when the ring of 6 from Hampton in Arden were installed in that tower, the metal being used in the augmentation scheme here.

The augemtation was reported in The Ringing World of June 2nd 1978:

The first peal on the 10 was rung the following year:

There is some parking in and around Church Hill, though this might be taken at busy times.

Details of the Bells

 1 John Taylor & Co, (Bellfounders) Loughborough 1978   3-2-22  22.875"  1881.0Hz (A#+15c)
 2 John Taylor & Co, (Bellfounders) Loughborough 1978   3-3-10  23.75"   1676.0Hz (G#+15c)
 3 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough                1923   4-0-00  25.125"  1488.0Hz (F#+9c)
 4 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough                1923   4-2-14  26.625"  1404.0Hz (Ex+9c)
 5 John Taylor & Co, (Bellfounders) Loughborough 1978   4-3-10  28.00"   1247.0Hz (D#+3c)
 6 John Taylor & Co, (Bellfounders) Loughborough 1978   5-0-26  29.50"   1108.0Hz (C#-1c)
 7 John Taylor & Co, (Bellfounders) Loughborough 1978   6-3-04  32.50"    988.0Hz (B+0c)
 8 John Taylor & Co, (Bellfounders) Loughborough 1978   8-0-17  34.375"   931.0Hz (A#-2c)
 9 John Taylor & Co, (Bellfounders) Loughborough 1978  10-1-22  38.00"    828.0Hz (G#-5c)
10 John Taylor & Co, (Bellfounders) Loughborough 1978  14-0-24  42.375"   734.0Hz (F#-14c)

Photo Gallery

The Nave



You are here: Home Rings C-E Coleshill