WOLVEY St John the Baptist 6, 12-0-24 in G
History Of The Bells
According to Dugdale there were 3 bells plus a saunce bell and 2 sacring bells here in 1552. These three bells, Hugh, Toby & John (of York) are now bells 3, 4 & 5 of the 6. The fifth is said to have come from Nuneaton Abbey. The bells were augmented by a tenor and two trebles in a new frame and fittings by Taylors in 1911, at a cost of £300. The fourth bell is the only one in the county by Norris.
The canons of the old bells have been removed, the fourth being quarter turned and the third and fifth each being eighth turned, the new bells were cast with flat tops. They all were rehung on ball bearings in 1953 and they go well.
A pleasant village with a choice of nice pubs. The church is by the main road through Wolvey. There is a small church car park at the east of the church; turn off to the east at the double mini roundabout near the church. Then turn left into School Lane and the parking is by the churchyard wall. Entry is via the south door and then by a short vertical metal ladder to the ringing room.
Details of the Bells
1 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1911 3-2-24 26.00" 1300.0Hz (E-24c)
2 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1911 4-1-27 28.50" 1161.0Hz (D-20c)
3 Hugh Watts II, Leicester 1625 4-2-10 30.25" 1032.0Hz (C-24c)
4 Toby Norris II, Stamford 1680 5-2-04 33.00" 973.0Hz (B-26c)
5 John de York, Leicester c1400 8-3-11 37.00" 864.0Hz (A-32c)
6 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1911 12-0-24 40.375" 774.0Hz (G-22c)
|The Chancel||The Ringing Room||The Organ|