WISHAW St Chad 3, 6-0-6 in Bb
|Affiliation||St Martin's Guild|
History Of The Bells
Originally there were three bells, but the broken tenor was sold in 1830 for £21 leaving a vacant pit in the frame, this probably dating from the rebuilding of the tower in about 1700. The two remaining bells were rehung with new ringing fittings by a Mr Holbeach for £6/4/-. They were put on ball bearings in 1954 when the bells were quarter turned and rehung, probably by Gillett and Johnston. The treble is a maiden bell, the second has been chip tuned.
More recently the frame has been strengthened by Hayward Mills Associates, and, in 1997, the same firm installed a redundant bell (originally at St. Michael's, Derby) to create a perfectly ringable three, all of which retain their canons. All the bells have also been quarter turned.
Details of the Bells
1 John Martin, Worcester 1650 4½ cwt 28.75" 1198.5Hz (D+35c)
2 John Martin, Worcester 1650 5½ cwt 31.50" 1070.5Hz (C+39c)
3 Thomas Mears, Whitechapel 1809 6-0-6 32.875" 955.5Hz (Bb+43c)