WHITNASH St Margaret 8, 10-3-5 in G
History Of The Bells
On the way out of Leamington Spa, this is a nice village with a church that has been sympathetically extended in recent years.
The bells go well. Frame and fittings are by Taylors, 1969 when the then 6 bells were retuned, rehung and augmented to 8. Two bells by Matthew Bagley of Chacombe dated 1680 were intact at the time of this restoration. To these had been added a treble and two tenors by Taylors in 1892 to make a ring of 5. (The vicar had asked Carrs, Blews, Warners, Llewellins & James for quotes in 1887. Taylors won the contract and at the same time convinced the church to go beyond its original intention to fill the one vacant pit in the existing three-bell wooden frame). Taylors added a further treble to make 6 in 1896. Two more trebles were added in 1969, at which time the bells were retuned and rehung.
Both Bagley bells became cracked subsequently, necessitating recasting - the sixth in 1980 (was 5-1-12) and the fifth in 1984 (was 4-3-0). The bells hang in a two tier cast iron frame with the third and fifth in the upper lowsided frame and the others below in an H frame. The frequency of the tenor is now known and it equates to G+44c and therefore the bells are not in the previously noted key of Ab.
Park in front of the church and enter through the main south door and hence to the tower.
Details of the Bells
1 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1969 3-0-03 23.50" 1609.0Hz (G+45c)
2 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1969 3-1-11 24.50" 1520.0Hz (F#+46c)
3 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1896 4-0-04 26.375" 1355.0Hz (E+47c)
4 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1892 4-1-08 27.625" 1205.0Hz (D+44c)
5 John Taylor & Co (Bellfounders) Ltd., Loughborough 1984 5-0-20 29.50" 1075.0Hz (C+47c)
6 John Taylor & Co (Bellfounders) Ltd., Loughborough 1980 6-0-26 31.50" 1012.0Hz (B+42c)
7 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1892 8-0-13 34.50" 903.0Hz (A+45c)
8 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1892 10-3-05 38.75" 804.0Hz (G+44c)
|The Fine Church Extension||The "Compact" Ringing Room|