Font Size

SCREEN

Profile

Layout

Menu Style

Cpanel

WHICHFORD St Michael 8, 12-3-23 in G (GF)

Grid Reference 151/312346 Whichford Church - Source M Chester
Postcode CV36 5PG
Recording
Affiliation Coventry DG
Peals Felstead Database
Sunday Not Known
Practice Tuesday 1930 - 2100 (2 & 4). Other weeks at Long Compton

History

Situated at the southern edge of the Diocese, the church consists of a chancel, nave, north aisle, south chapel incorporating a south porch to the nave, and a north-west tower. The nave dates from c. 1150 but the only architectural feature remaining is the south doorway. Early in the 13th century a north aisle was added, with an arcade of three bays: the present aisle is wider than the normal aisle of that period and was probably widened later in the century. The chancel was enlarged in the 13th century but was largely reconstructed in the first half of the 14th century, when windows in the nave were also altered.

The tower was built in two or three progressive periods during the 14th century. Its position at the west end of the aisle and overlapping the west wall of the nave is unusual, but it may be accounted for by the need for keeping the west window of the nave for the sake of light. The last addition to the plan was the chapel south of the east half of the nave, built about 1330, apparently as a memorial for a member of the Mohun family whose tomb exists in the south wall. The chapel was kept short because of the south doorway, but the south porch, which was probably of the 13th century, was altered and incorporated as part of the same scheme. Finally the tall clearstory was added to the nave, with a range of south windows, and a new roof provided, probably before the middle of the 15th century.

Tthese bells were rehung in an 6 bell frame, set up to allow for 8 in 1904, many years followed this before the two trebles were added, (in 1998). They go well and sound likewise. The sixth is the sole survivor of a ring of five bells that was put up in 1695. By 1890 there were 5 bells, four by Bagley and a Taylor of Oxford tenor; it being a recast, in 1848, of the Bagley tenor bell. A new clock and treble bell were given by Robert Wincott of Ascott (a hamlet within the parish) in 1891, the bell being by Gillett and Johnston of Croydon and weighing 4-0-21.

In 1904 Taylors incorporated the two tenors into a new, remodelled, ring of 6, recasting the other four and making the ring heavier. The bells were hung in a cast iron H-frame set out for 8 bells and the old bells were quarter turned. This was done using the money from a donation of £300 for "improving the bells" from Richard Badger, Esq of Eastbourne in Sussex, formerly of Shipston on Stour.

The 6 "original" bells that were still on plain bearings were put onto ball bearings in early 2003.

There are several ringing performances over the years written on the Ringing Room walls in pencil!

There is a 13.50" Sanctus bell of 1706 by William Bagley. It alone has canons, those on 6 & 7 having been removed and the others cast with flat tops. Note that the sixth is lighter than both the fourth and fifth.

Enter by the west door of the tower, not from the church itself. Park in the road beside the church.

Details of the Bells

1 John Taylor Bellfounders Ltd, Loughborough  1998   3-2-00  24.50"   1533.0Hz (G-39c)
2 John Taylor Bellfounders Ltd, Loughborough  1998   3-2-23  25.125"  1440.0Hz (F#-47c)
3 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough              1904   4-1-01  27.25"   1286.0Hz (E-43c)
4 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough              1904   5-0-01  29.06"   1152.0Hz (D-34c)
5 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough              1904   5-3-20  31.625"  1025.0Hz (C-36c)
6 William Bagley, Chacombe                    1695   4-3-26  31.25"    964.0Hz (B-42c)
7 William Taylor, Oxford                      1848   6-2-08  35.125"   864.0Hz (A-32c)
8 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough              1904  12-3-23  41.75"    768.0Hz (G-36c)

Photo Gallery

whichford_east_small whichford_west_small whichford_ringing_room_small
The Church,
Looking East 
The Church,
Looking West 
The Ringing Chamber 
whichford_plan_small
Plan of the Church

You are here: Home Rings T- Z Whichford