WHATCOTE St Peter 3, 6cwt in C
History Of The Bells
Despite being located in rural South Warwickshire, this church was a victim of World War II bombing, the result of a stray, surplus bomb jettisened by German airmen as they returned from raids over either Coventry or Birmingham; it hit the south side of the building in 1941. The south west corner of the nave, most of the south porch and the nave roof were demolished, though fortunately the tower and chancel seemed to have escaped serious injury
The treble bell is a recast of Henry Bagley bell of 1652 and the tenor a recast of Matthew Bagley bell of 1766. The bells hang in a 16th century frame for three; fittings are 1878 by Blews. Formerly a ring of four (two in the centre pit). One bell is rumoured to have gone to Ildicote, (25" Henry Bagley, 1636), though the fact that it has the churchwardens' names for Idlicote as part of the inscription tends to discount this. The bells all retain their canons and the second alone has been quarter turned.
Until recently these bells were rung from the ground floor
The church is near the village centre - down Church Lane.
Details of the Bells
1 William Blews, Birmingham 1878 3¾cwt 25.00" 1380.5Hz (F-20c)
2 John Clark, Evesham 1711 4½cwt 27.25" 1215.5Hz (Eb-41c)
3 Henry Bond, Burford 1897 6cwt 31.25" 1065.0Hz (C+30c)
|The Church - Looking East||The Church - Looking West||A photograph in the church of
the damage caused in WWII