Font Size

SCREEN

Profile

Layout

Menu Style

Cpanel

WAPPENBURY, St John the Baptist 3: 10cwt in G Anticlockwise - Unringable

Grid Reference 151/377693 Wappenbury Church - Source: Aidan MacRae Thomson
Postcode CV33 9DW
Recording None Available
Affiliation Coventry DG
Peals None
Sunday None
Practice None
Other Information Unringable

History Of The Bells

The church was originally built in the early 13th century, when it consisted of Chancel and Nave. In the early 14th century the western tower was built on the south side of the nave, together with a South Aisle and Porch.  The Nave and South Aisle were completely ‘restored’ in c1825, but were pulled down in 1885 and rebuilt in the character of 14th century work. At the same time a South Porch and Transept were added and the whole church re-roofed. The first recorded presentation is in 1283.

These bells are unringable due to the fragility of ancient fittings.

They hang in an oak frame, probably dating from the second or third quarter of the seventeenth century. There are three parallel pits and the bells all swing East to West. From North to South the bells hang in the pits in the order 1, 3 then 2. Roping of the bells means that they are a clockwise three. The fittings are also seventeenth century.

The bells still have their canons and have not been turned.

The bells are no longer swung, but are sounded by means of a locally made Ellacombe type apparatus.

Details of the Bells

1 Bryan Eldridge, Coventry   1657   6¾cwt 33.625" 989.0Hz (B+2c)
2 Newcombe, Leicester       c1600   8cwt 36.00"   871.0Hz (A-18c)
3 Hugh Watts II, Leicester   1629  10cwt 38.75"   779.0Hz (G-11c)

Photo Gallery

The Church - Looking East. Source: Aidan MacRae Thomson The Church - Looking West. Source: Aidan MacRae Thomson
The Church - Looking East The Church - Looking West

You are here: Home Rings T- Z Wappenbury