Font Size

SCREEN

Profile

Layout

Menu Style

Cpanel

TREDINGTON St Gregory 6, 16-1-20 in D (GF)

Grid Reference 151/259435 Tredington Church - Source David Kelly
Postcode CV36 4NQ
Recording
Affiliation Coventry DG
Peals Felstead Database
Sunday By Arrangement
Practice None

History

A magnificent landmark at the junction of the A429 and the old A34, (now renumbered as A3400). Its spire, 210 feet tall, can be seen for some distance. The village was transferred to Warwickshire from Worcestershire in 1931.

The church oconsists of a chancel 45 ft. by 21½ ft., with a north vestry 16½ ft. by 12½ ft., nave 58 ft. by 21 ft., north aisle 16 ft. wide, south aisle 17 ft. wide, north porch, and western tower 16½ ft. square; these dimensions are internal. The remains of the Saxon church consist of the ranges of windows above the nave arcades, which were discovered at the last restoration of the church. Of this building a unique feature was the high gallery at the west end, the doorways to which still exist in part, and could only have been approached by external staircases or ladders. A window in either wall at a higher level than the others lighted this gallery.

Late in the 12th century (c. 1170–80) aisles were added on both sides, the arcades being inserted in the earlier walls and the Saxon windows and doorways closed up. In the beginning of the 14th century the chancel was lengthened and entirely rebuilt, beginning with the east wall. The dedication of the high altar (and a chapel), which cannot now be located, at Tredington (Trediton) is recorded in 1315. The west tower was erected about the same time. About 1360 both aisles were rebuilt and widened, the 12th-century doorway being reset in the later south wall. A block of masonry west of the porch marks the west wall of the north aisle, which was doubtless re-erected partly on the old 12th-century foundations, but both aisles were extended westwards to the tower about thirty years later, an additional half-bay being added to either arcade to match the rest. The clearstory, north porch and vestry are all additions of the 15th century, but the two latter appear to have been altered in the 17th or 18th century. The west wall of the south aisle also appears to have undergone a later rebuilding. Several restorations have taken place, the last and most extensive being in 1899.

The treble bell was cast by Matthew Bagley at Chacombe shortly before he moved to Evesham. It is not common to find Purdue bells in Warwickshire.

A nice ground floor six that ring well. They were rehung, but not retuned with the exception of the second, by Gillett & Johnston in 1946 in a new cast iron lowside frame and new fittings. The tenor's note equates to D+34c and therefore the bells are in D and not Eb as is normally stated. The fourth is a little flat for the ring, which gets sharper in relation to the tenor as you go round to the treble. The back four bells are "listed" and the third is a "maiden" bell.

Park in front of the church and enter via the north door.

Details of the Bells

1 Matthew Bagley I, Chacombe  1683   7-2-14  33.75"   1035.5Hz (B+82c)
2 George Mears, London        1858   8-2-04  35.75"    930.0Hz (A+96c)
3 George Purdue, Taunton      1622   9-3-16  38.50"    802.0Hz (G+39c)
4 George Purdue, Taunton      1622  10-1-00  39.50"    738.5Hz (F#-3c)
5 Robert Atton, Buckingham    1624  12-2-10  42.875"   670.5Hz (E+29c)
6 George Purdue, Taunton      1622  16-1-20  47.50"    599.0Hz (D+34c)
<

Photo Gallery

tredington1_small tredington2_small
The Ringing Chamber The Nave
tredington_plan_small
Plan of the Church

You are here: Home Rings T- Z Tredington