STRETTON-ON-DUNSMORE All Saints 6, 7-0-14 in B
History Of The Bells
Set just off the Coventry to Southam road, this is a very pretty village with a nicely kept church, near to a good pub!
For many year the bells here were an unringable three. They were hung in an oak frame, with all bells swinging north-south, that predated the rebuilding of the tower in 1835-7. The fittings probably dated from this time. This remained the situation here until the early 1990s when the ring was augmented in stages to the highly satisfactory ring of 6 in an 8 bell frame, made locally to designs by Whitechapel, that they are today. The previous second of three was cast at the same time and by the same founder as the treble. This was the same year as when Smith cast a ring of 5 for nearby Brinklow. The fourth has had its canons removed and both old bells have been turned.
The weights of the bells as received at Whitechapel were:- 3-3-15, 4-0-16 and 7-0-23.
The bells are ringing again after recent tower problems caused by rusting metal clamps that hold the stone facing onto the brick tower.
Park by the church wall and entry is via the west door of the tower.
Details of the Bells
1 Whitechapel, London 1993 2-2-19 22.50" 1658.5Hz (G#-3c)
2 Whitechapel, London 1993 2-2-25 23.50" 1480.5Hz (F#+1c)
3 Whitechapel, London 1992 3-1-14 25.25" 1321.0Hz (E+3c)
4 Joseph Smith, Edgbaston 1705 3-2-23 26.50" 1243.0Hz (D#-2c)
5 Whitechapel, London 1993 5-0-17 29.50" 1112.0Hz (C#+5c)
6 Hugh Watts II, Leicester 1620 7-0-14 33.25" 991.5Hz (B+7c)
|The Church - Looking East||The Church - Looking West||The Sanctuary|
|The Tower||The War Memorial on the
North wall of the nave.
|The Ringing Room||A wheel from the
old ring of three