Font Size

SCREEN

Profile

Layout

Menu Style

Cpanel

STOCKTON, St Michael 3: 9cwt in G - Unringable

Grid Reference 151/437635 Stockton Church - Source: Mapio
Postcode CV47 8JF
Recording None Available
Affiliation Coventry DG
Peals None
Sunday None
Practice None
Other Information Church Website   Unringable

History

The first reference to a church in Stockton is during the reign of Henry I, between 1100 and 1135. It was founded by Rob de Limesi. In those days, different people (Lords of the Manor, important families, and so on) had the right to appoint a priest for the parish. This right passed through several families, until 1824, when New College, Oxford, bought it. The College still has the right to a say in the appointment of a priest in Stockton The original church was probably built of wood and burnt down. Three parts of the church were rebuilt starting around 1530:

  • The oldest part is the south wall of the chancel (14th century)
  • Then the tower - may be 15th century
  • Then the arch leading into the chancel

The rest of the alterations to the church, until those recently completed, began in 1809. It is built of brown and red sandstone

These bells are unringable due to poor frame design which leaves one truss almost free-standing.

Fittings are by White of Appleton, installed in the late 19th century. They hang in an oak frame by an unknown local carpenter, it being installed in 1817.

They have been quarter turned and retain their canons. The Watts bells are very fine in their tone. The tenor is "maiden". The treble has been chip-tuned to raise its note, it is still a little flat of where it should be. The second's note has been deepened by chip tuning.

Details of the Bells

1 Newcombe, Leicester       1608  5¾cwt  31.00"   956.5Hz (Bb+44c)
2 Hugh Watts II, Leicester  1622  7cwt   33.375"  873.5Hz (A-13c)
3 Hugh Watts II, Leicester  1620  9cwt   37.00"   786.5Hz (G+6c)

 Photo Gallery

None Available
You are here: Home Rings S Stockton