Font Size

SCREEN

Profile

Layout

Menu Style

Cpanel

SOUTHAM St James 8, 15-1-25 in E (GF)

Grid Reference 151/418617 Southam Church - Source: Mapio
Postcode CV47 0HQ
Recording
Affiliation Coventry DG
Peals Felstead Database
Sunday 0930-1000 & 1800-1830
Practice Tuesday 1930-2100
Other Information Church Website

History

Set in the middle of a busy town, recently made quieter as it has been "by-passed", St James is just off the market place and has a spire. A nice church that is worth a look at prior to ringing. The bells are rung from the ground floor and go reasonably well.

The church stands on a mound towards the east of a large churchyard. It is entered via timber lych-gate of 1938, with an avenue of lime-trees to the north porch, and also by a gate on the south. It consists of a chancel, nave, north and south aisles, north aisle to chancel, west tower, north and south porches and a vestry. The present church dates from the 14th century; in the 15th century a spire was added to the tower, the aisles nearly doubled in width, the chancel rebuilt, and early in the 16th century the aisle roofs were lowered to enable a clearstory to be added. In 1889 an aisle was added on the north side of the chancel, together with a vestry, which is entered from it, the south porch and the north wall of the north aisle were rebuilt. A great deal of restoration has been carried out opver time, including the spire, the upper part of which appears to have been rebuilt with a light-coloured sandstone.

Until 1863 there were five bells here, the existing three tenors and a treble of 1596 and second, it being a Watts of Leicester bell of 1613. The trebles were recast and a further treble added by Mears and Co and the frame was altered to take six bells.

The existing metal H-frame dates from 1913 when the bells were first rehung as a six in an eight bell frame (dedicated on 19 April 1913). The trebles were added soon afterwards and dedicated on 17 May 1913. This work was carried out by Taylors of Lougborough. A peal of minor in three methods was rung between these points of time and one of Stedman Triples on the day of the second dedication. The canons were removed from the bells and they were one eight turned. Bells 1, 4, 6 & 7 hang in the upper frame and the others in the lower frame.

All were rehung on ball bearings by Mears & Stainbank, 1954. Minor work to improve the handling of the bells was carried out in 2002.

The tenor has been stated in some places as being in the key of F. It is actually just nearer E, being E+47c. The two trebles were cast with flat tops and the canons of the others have been removed.

There is some parking in the market place or try by the north wall of the churchyard. Enter via the north door.

Details of the Bells

1 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough  1913   4-0-23  26.50"   1358.0Hz (E+51c)
2 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough  1913   4-2-07  27.625"  1280.0Hz (D#+49c)
3 George Mears & Co, London       1863   4-3-15  30.125"  1136.0Hz (C#+42c)
4 George Mears & Co, London       1863   5-2-20  31.625"  1017.0Hz (B+50c)
5 George Mears & Co, London       1863   6-3-19  32.25"    904.0Hz (A+47c)
6 Hugh Watts II, Leicester        1615   8-1-15  36.875"   850.0Hz (G#+40c)
7 John Martin, Worcester          1650   9-3-14  39.50"    758.0Hz (F#+42c)
8 Henry Bagley I, Chacombe        1676  15-1-25  44.50"    677.5Hz (E+47c)

Photo Gallery

southam2_small southam6_small southam4_mall
The Nave The East End of the Church The Church, Looking West 
southam3_small southam5_small  
The Ringing Chamber The Way up to the Bells.
Note that the 7th's rope
Falls Inside the Cage! 
 

You are here: Home Rings S Southam