Font Size

SCREEN

Profile

Layout

Menu Style

Cpanel

SHOTTESWELL St Laurence 6, 9-1-0 in G (GF)

Grid Reference 151/426455 Shotteswell Church - Source: David Kelly
Postcode OX17 1JB
Recording
Affiliation Coventry DG
Peals Felstead Database
Sunday Not Known
Practice Tusday 1930-2100 (Check)

History

A nice church with a small spire set in deepest rural South Warwickshire, in fact it is very nearly in the Oxford Guild territory, being only 4 miles from Banbury. This part of Warwick projects into Oxfordshire and the parish is bounded on three sides by Oxfordshire. The Battle of Edgehill took place a short distance from the village on 26th October 1642. 

The church consists of a chancel, nave, north aisle with a small sacristy east of it, and a north porch, south aisle, and west tower with a spire. Presumably an early small church existed before the addition of a north aisle with the existing arcade of mid-12th-century date. There are signs of Saxon stones, eg in the support of the font. The chancel arch is an early 13th-century feature and its narrow span—about 6 ft.—suggests that the original small chancel may have been retained. A south aisle with the existing arcade was added late in the 13th century and the west tower at about the same time. The chancel was enlarged early in the 14th century and the aisles were rebuilt. The fitting up of a chapel in the east half of the north aisle seems to have been a late-14th-century conception, as was the little chamber, entered by a doorway from the east end of the aisle, for a priest's chamber or sacristy; the altar in the aisle probably stood free (against a reredos-screen) so as to allow of access behind it to the small chamber. The same idea was carried out at a later period at Bickenhill Church. Both the clearstory of the nave and the north porch are also late-14th-century additions. The spire is probably a 15th-century addition. No literally structural alterations have been made since then but there have been minor alterations and repairs. There was a restoration of the fabric in 1875 and the spire was repaired in 1935.

Until 1996 these were an unringable five, but were rehung and the old tenor of three at Atherstone on Stour was incorporated into the ring as the fourth.

There had been a ring of five here since John Briant added a treble to the existing four bells in 1808. A Bond of Burford bell, a recast of a previous bell in 1888 and weighing 7½cwt, was discarded as part of the project to make these bells ringable. The old wooden frame, a four bell frame of standard layout with the treble hung above between parallel beams was removed in favour of a metal frame in 1995.

Parking right by the church is very difficult. Park just uphill from it at the side of the road.

Details of the Bells

1 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough  1995  4-3-08  27.375"  1325.0Hz (E+9c)
2 John Briant, Hertford           1808  4-1-24  28.625"  1182.0Hz (D+11c)
3 Henry Bagley I, Chacombe        1674  4-3-14  29.625"  1052.0Hz (C+9c)
4 Unknown                         1627  4-3-22  30.625"   993.0Hz (B+9c)
5 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough  1995  6-3-20  33.50"    888.0Hz (A+16c)
6 Hugh Watts II, Leicester        1625  9-1-00  38.00"    788.0Hz (G+9c)

Photo Gallery

shotteswell2_small shotteswell3_small shotteswell4_small
The Church -
Looking East
The Church -
From the South
The Church -
Looking West
shotteswell_plan_small
Plan of the Church

You are here: Home Rings S Shotteswell