SHILTON St Andrew 6, 6-3-20 in Bb (GF)
|Sunday||1030 - 1100 (1 & 3)
1750 - 1830 (2 & 4)
History Of The Bells
A church by the crossroads in the village. Nicely kept, The church was rebuilt in C14 and C15; The tower and porch being C15. The Chancel was restored and an outer North Aisle added by George Gilbert Scott 1865.
The bells at St Andrew's are a superb light ring of 6 which were cast and hung in a cast iron H-Frame, layout 6.1, by Gillett & Johnston in 1925. These bells replaced a ring of 4, two trebles by Edward Arnold of Leicester, 1796, third by Newcombe of Leicester, 1603 and tenor by John Greene of Worcester, 1614. There is a clapper spring on the tenor and this helps them to resonate nicely. The wheels were replaced in 2000. The bells were cast with flat tops and hang in a cast iron H-frame.
There is a belief that the success of this ring lead to the contract for the Cathedral bells being given to the Croydon foundry.
There is a car park a little to the west of the church - on the Ansty side of the village, or you may be able to discretely park in the pub car park opposite the church. Enter the church via the south door to get to the ground floor ringing room.
Details of the Bells
1 Gillett & Johnston, Croydon 1925 2-2-23 23.00" 1580.0Hz (G+13c)
2 Gillett & Johnston, Croydon 1925 3-2-00 25.00" 1424.0Hz (F+33c)
3 Gillett & Johnston, Croydon 1925 4-0-08 27.00" 1264.0Hz (Eb+27c)
4 Gillett & Johnston, Croydon 1925 4-3-10 28.375" 1184.0Hz (D+14c)
5 Gillett & Johnston, Croydon 1925 5-1-21 30.50" 1068.0Hz (C+35c)
6 Gillett & Johnston, Croydon 1925 6-3-20 33.50" 948.0Hz (Bb+29c)
|The Bell in the
|The Church -
|The Church -