Font Size

SCREEN

Profile

Layout

Menu Style

Cpanel

SHERBOURNE All Saints 6, 11-1-17 in F#

Grid Reference 151/262612 Sherbourne Church - Source: M Chester
Postcode CV35 8AP
Recording
Affiliation Coventry DG
Peals Felstead Database
Sunday 1015 (By Arrangment)
Practice Wednesday 1930-2100

History Of The Bells

A wonderful, Grade II* listed, church which is signposted off the A429 just south of the A46/M40 interchange roundabout. It is the fourth on this site, set in a rural setting. It was designed by Sir George Gilbert Scott. I was commissioned by the philanthropist Louisa Ryland, who had inherited a fortune on the death of her father, Samuel Ryland, who had made is money in the wire drawing industry in Birmingham.

Park by the churchyard lych gate and enter via the main church door on the north side - the tower door is inside the church. Pause a while to look at the two colour marble columns, the ornate font and the many lovely carvings in wood and stone of birds, flowers and faces. There is a memorial to one of the "Dambusters" on the north wall.

The present fourth bell is larger of the two bells that hung in the previous church. The smaller, weighing 4-2-19, was sold to George Mears & Co as part payment for five new bells to be added to the remaining bell. The work was commissioned by Louisa Ryland. The bells were installed in the newly completed church in 1864.

The cross sectional size of the tower is not as large as you might think it is going to be when looking at the church from outside. This means that the bells had to be hung in a two tier wooden frame, with bells 2 and 4 above, by Mears and Stainbank in 1864. This frame was strengthened, again by Mears and Stainbank, in 1897 by the insertion of iron tie bolts. The bells were rehung on ball bearings, yet again by Mears & Stainbank, in 1928 and further overhauled in 1975 by Frank White after a fall of masonry which broke the fourth's wheel. All the bells retain their canons, the fourth, maiden bell, alone has been quarter turned.

This was the home tower of the late Pam Copson author of the "One Per Learner" Books.

Details of the Bells

1 George Mears & Co, London  1863   4-1-25  27.00"
2 George Mears & Co, London  1863   4-3-26  28.50"
3 George Mears & Co, London  1863   5-2-13  30.50"
4 Hugh Watts II, Leicester   1632   6½cwt   33.00"
5 George Mears & Co, London  1863   8-0-26  36.00"
6 George Mears & Co, London  1863  11-1-17  40.00"

Photo Gallery

sherbourne_east_small sherbourne_reredos_small sherbourne_font_small
The East End of the Church The Fine Reredos The Pugin Font
sherbourne_column_small sherbourne_organ_small sherbourne_dambuster_small
One of the Fine
Marble Columns 
 The Organ The Memorial to Sqd Ldr Henry Maudsley.
He was the pilot of a Lancaster Bomber
that was shot down on the way back 
from the Dambusters Raid. 
sherbourne_treble_small sherbourne_2nd_small sherbourne_3rd_small
Treble Bell Second Bell Third Bell
sherbourne_4th_small sherbourne_5th_small sherbourne_tenor_small
Fourth Bell Fifth Bell Tenor Bell
sherbourne_trebles_small sherbourne_spire_small sherbourne_clockroom_small
The two trebles,
viewed from the quite
narrow trapdoor into
the belfry. Second
bell is above the treble.
Looking through the second
and fourth bells up the
magnificent spire 
The Clock Room. Clock is in the foreground.
Notice that the ropes have to be pulled away 
from the walls  to give space for the ringer
to stand behind the rope. This applies to all six
bells. The ladder up to the bells is on the right.
sherbourne_ladder_small    
The view down to the Ringing
Room from the Clock Room.
The ladder is pretty much vertical.
   

You are here: Home Rings S Sherbourne