SHELDON* St Giles 8, 8-1-8 in Ab
|Affiliation||St Martin's Guild|
History Of The Bells
Until the early 1990s there used to be a ringable four here (tenor 9-3-13), hung in an old wooden frame, with "new" fittings by Barwell in 1911. After a lengthy process, when the restoration plans changed from one scheme to another, the bells were eventually remodelled as a ring of six. The old tenor (John Martin 1650) was sold for use as a single chiming bell at Hawes (North Yorkshire). Two new bells were cast in 1992 to make five, and later a redundant bell from St. Gregory the Great, Small Heath, was added to make six. This bell was one of the last bells cast by Carr's of Smethwick. The were further augmented, this time to 8, in 2010.
The back three bells retain their canons and have been quarter turned, the others being cast with flat tops.
The new trebles were cast and tuned some time before the hanging of them was completed in November 2010.
Details of the Bells
1 Taylor, Eayre & Smith Ltd, Loughborough 2008 3-0-24 23.50" 1700.0Hz (Ab+40c)
2 Taylor, Eayre & Smith Ltd, Loughborough 2007 3-1-14 24.00" 1604.0Hz (G+39c)
3 Charles Carr, Smethwick 1926 3-1-05 25.125" 1428.0Hz (F+38c)
4 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1992 3-2-12 25.875" 1268.0Hz (Eb+32c)
5 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1992 4-0-08 27.50" 1133.0hz (Db+37c)
6 Joseph Smith, Edgbaston 1732 4-2-10 29.375" 1070.0Hz (C+38c)
7 Unknown (uninscribed), c1350 5-1-22 32.125" 953.0Hz (Bb+38c)
8 Thomas Newcombe II, Leicester c1580 8-1-08 36.50" 848.0Hz (Ab+36c)
|The Church - Looking East||The Church - Looking West|