RYTON ON DUNSMORE St Leonard 8, 9-3-6 in F#
|Sunday||0930-1000 (1 & 3)|
History Of The Bells
For a long time this tower contained an unringable three, last being rehung in 1818 at a cost of £28. The headstock of the treble was replaced by Mears in 1864/5 when they repaired the ironwork, turned the gudgeons and supplied new brass bearings, all for £4. The headstocks of the other bells were replaced, probably locally, in 1905. The Mears bell, formerly the treble of three, was cast to replace a cracked mediaval bell, by Richard Seliok in about 1530, at a cost of £22/5/6. It is possible that the tenor bell, which alone of the old bells retains its canons, was cast in Coventry as John Martin was working there at this time when he cast a bell for Fillongley. The tenor is F#+23c.
The ring was rehung and augmented in two stages, first to 6 in an 8-bell cast iron and steel frame in 1988 and then to 8 some three years later. All this work was undertaken by Taylors.
This church is on the main A45 road from Coventry towards the M1 and is on its north side, just after the former Peugeot car plant. Turn in just before the church and park by the churchyard wall.New housing directly opposite the church restricts ringing a little. Do be careful when visiting - there are a couple of cunningly hidden speed cameras on the main road leading up to the church; from both directions!
Details of the Bells
1 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1991 3-3-18 25.50" 1504.0Hz (F#+28c)
2 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1991 4-0-12 25.875" 1413.0Hz (Ex+20c)
3 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1988 4-1-12 27.25" 1253.0Hz (D#+12c)
4 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1988 5-1-04 29.50" 1123.0Hz (C#+22c)
5 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1988 6-1-00 31.75" 1008.0Hz (B+35c)
6 George Mears & Co, London 1864 6-1-12 34.00" 935.0Hz (A#+5c)
7 William Watts, Leicester c1590 8-2-00 35.875" 844.0Hz (G#+28c)
8 John Martin, Worcester 1653 9-3-06 39.50" 750.0Hz (F#+23c)