RADWAY St Peter 5, 5-0-26 in C (GF)
History Of The Bells
A pretty little church with a nice ring of 5. The whole installation was installed 1868, given in her will by Mrs Magan of Cheltenham, the cost being £280. This is contemporary with the time then the parish church was rebuilt in a different part of the village to the original church, using some of the old stone. The old church had a single bell cast by C & G Mears in 1845, weighing 6-3-3. The bells were rehung with new fittings by Mears & Stainbank in the existing oak frame in 1949 at which time they were quarter turned but the canons were left in situ. A fairly long draft, ringing is around around the font, but the bells are not that difficult to ring.
The frequencies of the bells were taken in June 2013 by Chris Pickford and these show that the bells are, just, in the key of C and not B as has up to now been reported.
Park opposite the churchyard gate and enter via the south door into the church. There is a toilet round the back of the tower. There is a Civil War Exhibition at the back of the church and opening the church door turns on the lighting for this. One of the lights is in the ringing chamber, so don't be suprised if you find yourself in the spotlight!
Details of the Bells
1 Robert Stainbank, London 1868 3-0-08 24.00" 1535.0Hz (G-37c)
2 Robert Stainbank, London 1868 3-1-08 24.50" 1362.0Hz (F-44c)
3 Robert Stainbank, London 1868 3-2-22 25.00" 1289.0Hz (E-39c)
4 Robert Stainbank, London 1868 4-1-02 27.00" 1149.0Hz (D-38c)
5 Robert Stainbank, London 1868 5-0-26 29.25" 1019.0Hz (C-46c)
|The Church - Looking East||The Ground Floor
|One of the Civil War Exhibition Cases|