PRIORS MARSTON St Leonard 6, 14cwt in F (GF) Anticlockwise - Treble Unringable
History Of The Bells
This is one of many very nice South Warwickshire village with a nice church. Originally a complete ring of 6 by Bagley, the bells are hung anti-clockwise and rung from the ground floor, but nevertheless go well. The tenor cracked in 1844 and was recast in Loughborough. The Bagley bells are "listed". The wooden frame in contemporary with the bells (1721 - at which time the tower was partially rebuilt) but strengthened and underpinned when the bells were rehung by Mears & Stainbank in 1939. All bells retain their canons and have been quarter turned.
A peal of Minor in seven methods was rung here in 3 hours & 11 minutes on Shrove Tuesday 1778 - one of the few recorded early change-ringing performances in the county.
Enter through the tower door on the south side.
(The treble is currently out of action due to a broken headstock. This was removed on 4th November 2016 and is expected to be replaced in early 2017.)
Details of the Bells
1 Henry Bagley III, Buckingham 1721 5½cwt 31.00" 1205.5Hz (D+44c)
2 Henry Bagley III, Buckingham 1721 6¼cwt 31.25" 1064.0Hz (C+28c)
3 Henry Bagley III, Buckingham 1721 7cwt 34.00" 965.5Hz (Bb+61c)
4 Henry Bagley III, Buckingham 1721 8¾cwt 35.25" 889.5Hz (A+18c)
5 Henry Bagley III, Buckingham 1721 11cwt 38.00" 807.5Hz (G+52c)
6 John Taylor & Son, Loughborough 1845 14cwt 43.25 706.0Hz (F+18c)
|The Church - Looking East||The Church - Looking West|