PACKWOOD St Giles 8, 6-3-14 in Bb (GF)
|Affiliation||St Martin's Guild|
|Sunday||1030-1115 (ex 1st)|
History Of The Bells
A complete ring of five by Henry and Matthew Bagley of Chacombe, 1686, augmented to six by Barwell in 1907. The two trebles were recast in 1957 when the whole ring was rehung by Taylors in a new two-tier eight-bell frame, with 3, 6 & 7 above the others. The trebles to complete the octave were added in 1960 to complete the octave. The sixth and seventh were tuned in 1957, but 5 & 8 were not. The Bagley bells, which have been one eighth turned, retain their canons, the Taylor bells were cast flat topped.
There are rumours once in a while of a plan to add a ringers' gallery, but nothing seems imminent. A blocked up doorway suggests that it is possible there was a ringing gallery at some point in time.
A very "pealable" tower, often welcoming the Coventry DG "Monday Night" band.
The church is a few hundred yards off the B4439. Follow the signpost for Packwood off this road, down Glasshouse Lane, NOT the signpost to Packwood House, after about ½m, as the road turns sharp left, you go straight ahead and into the church car park. Enter by the south door.
Details of the Bells
1 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1960 2-0-10 20.50" 1842.0Hz (Bb-21c)
2 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1960 2-1-16 31.50" 1739.0Hz (A-21c)
3 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1957 2-3-03 23.125" 1549.0Hz (G-21c)
4 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1957 3-0-12 24.50" 1380.0Hz (F-21c)
5 Henry Bagley, Chacombe 1686 4-0-22 26.625" 1229.0Hz (Eb-22c)
6 Matthew Bagley, Chacombe 1686 4-3-00 28.625" 1161.0Hz (D-20c)
7 Henry Bagley, Chacombe 1686 5-1-16 30.50" 1035.0Hz (C-19c)
8 Bagley, Chacombe 1686 6-3-14 33.875" 921.0Hz (Bb-21c)
|The Church - Looking East||The Church - Looking West|