Font Size

SCREEN

Profile

Layout

Menu Style

Cpanel

BADDESLEY ENSOR St Nicholas 2, 14-2-11 in F Unringable

Grid Reference
140/270985; b_endsor.jpg
Postcode CV9 2BQ
Other Information Church Website   Unringable

History

The smaller bell hung in the previous Norman church and was transferred when the new church, designed by Henry Clutton, was built in 1846. The tower is over the South Transept, or vestry, and, unusually, the stairs to the tower also give access to the pulpit.

The larger bell was provided for the new church. It swings north-south in an oak frame in the centre of the tower provided by the founder in 1846. The cost of this bell was £106/19/9. It sounds a note between F and E natural.

The smaller bell is hung to the east of the larger bell. There is a large piece missing from the soundbow of the smaller bell. The smaller bell cannot be rung and it is thought to be inadvisable to ring the larger bell.

Details Of The Bells

1 Joseph Smith, Edgbaston  1706   2½cwt  1020.5Hz  (C-44c)
2 C & G Mears, London      1846  14-2-11  682.5Hz  (F-40c)

Photo Gallery

bensor_larger.jpg (26685 bytes)
The Larger Bell

GUY'S CLIFFE HOUSE Chapel 2, 2½cwt

Grid Reference 151/293668 guysc.jpg
Postcode CV34 5YD
Other Information Website

History

 In 1423 Richard, Earl of Warwick, was licensed to found a chantry in honour of God and St Mary in the chapel. The chapel and other buildings were rebuilt between 1449-50 and 1459-60. The chapel stands on a cliff west of Guy’s Cave and consists of two parallel aisles of five bays with a porch and small tower at the centre of the South wall. Under the building is a rock-cut passage which was extended c1825 and fitted with a carved 15th century doorway from Wellesbourne Church. It is not certain when the chapel was first built but a lancet window uncovered in the North wall in 1933 might suggest a 13th century date. The E\st’ wall, base of the tower, the porch vault, and base of the arcade between the aisles are 15th century and there are various later alterations and additions

These bells hang between separate pairs of wooden beams bwtween the East and West walls of the tower, with the treble above the tenor. The fittings of the treble are C18 and that of the tenor contemporary with the bell. Both bells retain their canons.

Details Of The Bells

1 Mathew Bagley, Chacombe      1688  1¾cwt  19.00"
2 W Blews and Son, Birmingham  1875  2½cwt  22.50"

HASELOR St Mary & All Saints 2, 6cwt in Bb - Unringable

Grid Reference 151/124578 haselor.jpg
Postcode B49 6LU
Other Information Benefice Website  Unringable

History

The church  is apparently of 12thcentury origin and had a west tower: a south aisle with the arcade of three bays was added later in the century. Early in the 13th century the chancel was rebuilt, with a north chapel and an arcade of two bays. There also seems to have been a north vestry east of the chapel. Before the middle of the 14th century, a south transeptal chapel of one bay was added to the chancel and the south aisle was widened to range with it. The north chapel-aisle was subsequently destroyed and the arcade was walled up, perhaps in the 18th century. Whether or not the nave had a north aisle is not evident from the fabric, as the north wall appears to have been entirely rebuilt when a small chamber was added specially to receive the vault-grave of a vicar who died in 1869. The bell-chamber of the tower was added in 1622. The church was restored in 1883 and again in 1892.

These bells are thought to be unringable. The treble is a recast of a bell cast in 1662 by Henry Bagley I of Chacombe. It has no canons, unlike the tenor that retains its canons. They hang in a massive frame for 3 bells. There is evidence that the empty pit was once filled by a larger bell than the existing two. Fittings by Barwell.

Details Of The Bells

1 James Barwell, Birmingham  1902  5-0-26
2 Newcombe, Leicester        1610  6cwt    33.00"

LEAMINGTON SPA St John the Baptist, Tachbrook Street 2, 5cwt in C#

Grid Reference 151/321645 l_spa_sjb.jpg
Postcode CV31 3BN
Other Information Church Website

History

The church is in the English style in red brick with stone dressings. The architect was John Cundall’s. The Building Committee decided to erect the church in stages, between 1876 and 1889. The nave was erected by Mr. John Fell of Leamington. Mr. Franklyn, in the church magazine of May 1877, wrote: “On the day we turned the first sod, the 28th of last August, the rain hindered us from carrying out the order of the Service which had been arranged.” The foundation stone was laid on 3rd April 1877 with full Masonic honours by Lord Leigh, the Provincial Grand Master. The nave and aisles were consecrated by the Bishop of Worcester on St. Valentine’s Day, 14th February 1878. Although the nave had been consecrated and was being used for public worship there still remained a great deal to be done before the Church was completed. The vicarage was built on a site given by Mrs. Hitchman and was completed ready for the Vicar to move into during December 1880. The building of the chancel was commenced in the summer of 1881, with Thomas Mills of Leamington as contractor. St Johns Church [© A Jennings] St Johns Church [© A Jennings] The chancel was consecrated by the Bishop of Worcester on St. John the Baptist Day in 1882. At the same time the pulpit was dedicated and the first person to preach in it was the Rev. Canon Young, Rector of Whitnash. Builder G. F. Smith of Milverton commenced work on the tower and spire in the summer of 1888, reportedly at cost of £1,595. The opening service was held on 1st January 1889.

The bells came from North Piddle in Worcestershire where the church had been rebuilt in 1876. At the time the churches were in the same diocese; Worcester. Both bells have canons and have not been quarter turned.

Details Of The Bells

1 John Martin, Worcester    1676  4¼cwt  27.125"
2 Abel Rudhall, Gloucester  1745  5cwt   29.375"

Photo Gallery

The Bells The Bells
Two views of the bells, taken from the church history webpage  

LOXLEY St Nicholas 2, 5cwt

Grid Reference 151/258530 loxley.jpg
Postcode CV35 9JP
Other Information Village Website

History

St Nicholas stands on a site that was given to Worcester Cathedral in 760AD by Offa, King of Mercia. The northern wall of the Chancel incorporates Saxon work from around 950AD (uncovered & preserved in 1983). In 1253AD Peter de Mora granted the church to Kenilworth Priory which retained it until the Dissolution of the Monasteries. 

The church was re-consecrated in 1286 after major re-building by Godfrey Giffard, Bishop of Worcester. The lower parts of the tower are probably part of the 1286 church. The pillar piscina on the south wall of the chancel, the nearby lancet window, and the small coffin lid on the west wall are also 13th century.

Extensive reconstruction work took place in the 18th century when the south aisle was removed and the small vestry (which incorporates many of the Southam memorial stones) was built. This work gave the Church the Georgian character that remains evident today. In 1923 the Kendall family paid for further major work which included the removal of the gallery from the West end and also the flat nave ceiling (which was replaced in 1953). In 1930 a stove replaced oil lamps for heating the Church and in 1938 electric lighting was installed. The small pipe organ was a gift from Styvechale Church, Coventry in 1947.

These bells were once a three, but the tenor was sent to be recast and never came back. The tenor was hung for swing chiming by Taylors in 1962 when the smaller bell, 28" in diameter, was placed on the church floor

Details Of The Bells

1 Appowell, Buckingham?
2 Hugh Watts, Leicester  1632  5-2-13 in B

Photo Gallery

None Available
You are here: Home Others Rings of Two