Font Size

SCREEN

Profile

Layout

Menu Style

Cpanel

RATLEY, St Peter 4, 5-1-1 in B

Grid Reference 151/383473 Ratley Church - Source: Orchard5
Postcode OX15 6DS
Peals None 
Date Lost 1929
Other Information Benefice Website

History Of The Bells

These bells are hung dead as a chime. They have all been quarter turned. They retain their canons and hang in a massive seventeenth century four bell frame. There are bearing indents in the vacant pit, suggesting that there may once have been a ring of four in this tower. The tower has a pronounced lean to the north and west.

The bells were hung on deadstocks as a chime by Mears and Stainbank in July 1929 at a cost of £51.

They are sounded by means of ropes attached to the old ringing clappers and chime from a manual at the base of the tower. Due to the tower lean it is not considered strong enough to house a ringing peal.

Details of the Bells

1 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough  1985  2-3-20
2 George Mears,London             1859  3-2-02
3 Henry Bagley, Chacombe          1677  3-3-20
4 Matthew Bagley, Chacombe        1763  5-1-01  31.125"

Photo Gallery

None Available
You are here: Home Others Lost Rings Ratley