Font Size

SCREEN

Profile

Layout

Menu Style

Cpanel

HASELEY, St Mary 3, 4cwt

Grid Reference 151/234680 Hasely Church - Source: Genuki
Postcode CV35 7LS
Peals None 
Date Lost Early 1990s

History

The church consists of a chancel, nave, west tower, and modern south porch. The nave is probably of 12th-century origin and the chancel of the 13th century. The west tower was added in the 15th century. A special square bay was thrown out on the south side of the chancel to receive the tomb of Clement Throckmorton, who died in 1573. The east wall has been rebuilt and other works carried out in modern times.

Formerly a ring of 3, rehung and quarter turned by Barwell of Birmingham in a composite frame in the early 1900s, these bells were rehung for swing chiming in the early 1990s. The treble is of an usual shape.  It has very tall canons and is somewhat long-waisted.  It is difficult to date.

The two treble bells are maiden castings, but the tenor's note has been considerably lowered by chip tuning.

Details of the Bells

{deesktop}

1 No inscription "An old bell"         2cwt  20.25"
2 Thomas Newcombe, Leicester    c1565  3cwt  24.25"
3 Matthew Bagley, Chacombe       1778  4cwt  27.25"

{/desktop}

Photo Gallery

None Available
You are here: Home Others Lost Rings Haseley