CHESTERTON, St Giles 3 8½cwt in Ab
|Other Information||Parish Website|
History Of The Bells
This church has 12th century origins. Then nave, chancel and tower are 13th century, and the church was possibly lengthened ion the late 14th century. In the late 15th centrury the roof and nave south wall and porch were added. The upper part of tower is c.1600.
The church was restored in 1862.
Until recently these bells were an unringable 3, due to the " general tattiness" of all the original Rudhall fittings. The frame itself is probably of late 17th/early 18th century in date and is itself somewhat "tatty". There is a pit for a fourth bell, though it has never been occupied. In about 1955 a rolled steel joist (definitely there by 1966) was inserted under the west side of the frame. A piece of oak with ornamental carved tracery has been used as a jack brace in the treble pit.
All the bells retain their canons. The frequencies, tenor to treble, translate to Ab, B and Db. S
Starting in September 2009 these bells were converted to a swing chime by Whites of Appleton. The work involved removing the existing fittings, drilling out the crown staples and replacing the wooden headstocks (with wood again) and clappers. The frame was then treated.
Details of the Bells
1 Abraham Rudhall, Gloucester 1705 5cwt 29.50" 1083.0Hz (Db-41c)
GOD SAVE THE QVEEN (arabesque) A R (bell) 1705 (scroll border) (arabesque)
2 Abraham Rudhall, Gloucester 1705 6½cwt 33.50" 974.5Hz (B-23c)
GOD SAVE THE QVEEN & CHVRCH (arabesque) A R (bell) 1705 (scroll border) (arabesque)
3 Abraham Rudhall, Gloucester 1705 8½cwt 36.00" 849.0Hz (Ab+38c)
WILLIAM PEYTO ESQR GAVE THE CASTING OF VS ALL 1705 (scroll border)