Font Size

SCREEN

Profile

Layout

Menu Style

Cpanel

BIRMINGHAM, Bishop Latimer's Church 8, 13-3-22 in F

Grid Reference 139/041887 Bishop Latimer's Church - Source: Church Website
Postcode B33 8PB
Peals Felstead Database
Date Lost 1971/2

History

The foundation stone of this large church, inscribed “To the Glory of God and in memory of Hugh Latimer Bishop of Worcester 1535-1539, Martyr 1555” was laid on 4 April 1903, and the building was dedicated the following July. Taylors supplied one ringing bell, 6-3-23 in Db, that was intended to be the 4th of a 25cwt ring of 10.

Some half a century later this became the 5th of a ring of 8 cast in 1958 from the metal of the ring at St John's Deritend (q.v.). The following appeared in The Ringing World of October 27th 1950:

"BISHOP LATIMERS BELLS
In 1940, St. John’s Church, Deritend, Birmingham, was demolished in a street-widening scheme and the old ring of eight was given to Bishop Latimer Memorial Church.
A public meeting in May unanimously decided to make every effort to have the bells recast and rehung as a war memorial. The cost will be about £1.500, and towards this just under £500 is in hand.
These bells were originally cast in 1776 by Robert Wells, of the Aldbourne, Wilts, youndry. Only one other octave was cast by this foundry at Newbury, Berks. The contract the new bells has been placed with John Taylor and Co.. Loughborough.
The vicar (the Rev. Cecil H. Smith. The Vicarage, Handsworth New Road, Birmingham 18) appeals for the generous support of ringers. His parish is not a rich one and he adds, ‘ If we are ever to hear bells ringing out .from our church, we have to ask, and receive, financial help outside the parish.’"

Though six peals were rung here the architect advised that the bells were not to be rung by 1965. In 1971/2 they were transferred to Perry Bar. Prior to 2011 the church was still in use, but the services were held mostly in the church hall, jointly with the URC.  The cost of maintaining the listed church building proved too much for the congregation of around 50 and in 2011 the building was leased to The Seventh Day Adventist Church at a peppercorn rent, reflecting the cost to them of upgrading the building. The services in the church hall have continued, the hall becoming the designated parish centre of worship.

There now only bell installed after the other bells were removed. It is said to have come from the church of St. Chrysostom which was consecrated in 1889 – probably the date of the bell – and closed in 1972. This is a small bell (16” diameter in E) with a peg argent, hung for swing chiming in a simple framework erected among the foundation girders of the former bellframe. In addition there is a further bell which is stored at the base of the tower. It has a clapper, but no other fittings remain. It is said to have come from All Saints, Hockley on the closure of that church in 1973. It was housed in one of the turrets there. It is by James Barwell, 1875, 24” in diameter and 3cwt in weight.

(Most of the above information is quoted directly (with permission) from the research notes of Chris Pickford)

Details of the Bells

1 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough  1958   4-0-16  25.625"  1441.5Hz (F+54c)
2 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough  1958   4-0-26  26.375"  1358.0Hz (E+51c)
3 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough  1958   4-2-07  28.25"   1208.0Hz (D+48c)
4 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough  1958   5-0-03  29.625"  1071.0Hz (C+40c)
5 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough  1904   6-0-14  31.375"   953.0Hz (Bb+38c)
6 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough  1958   7-1-16  34.00"    898.5Hz (A+36c)
7 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough  1958  10-0-12  38.00"    799.0Hz (G+33c)
8 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough  1958  13-3-22  42.375"   710.0Hz (F+28c)

Photo Gallery

None Available
You are here: Home Others Lost Rings Birmingham Bishop Latimer