ATHERSTONE ON STOUR, St Mary 3: 4-3-22 in C
History Of The Bells
Atherstone church was entirely rebuilt in 1875-6. The three bells from the enclosed wooden turret over the west end of the nave of the old church were re-hung in the south western porch tower, which carried a four sided stone spire, by Barwells at a cost of £53. The church was closed in about 1975 on account of fears for the safety of the structure.
The bells were removed from the tower in June 1993, and afterwards incorporated in rings of bells in three other Warwickshire churches. The treble is now the third of the ring of six at Barford, the second is the second at Radford Semele, and the tenor is the fourth at Shotteswell.
Their notes were D sharp, C sharp and C natural.
Details of the Bells
1 Gloucester Foundry c1320 3-0-0
2 John of Gloucester c1350 4-0-12
3 Unknown 1627 4-3-22