Font Size

SCREEN

Profile

Layout

Menu Style

Cpanel

SPARKHILL*, St John the Evangelist, Stafford Road 8 Tubular Bells in C

Grid Reference 139/092841 Sparkhill, St John Church - Source: geograph.co.uk
Postcode B11 4RU
Other Information Church Website 

History Of The Bells

The church, its parish carved out of the of Yardley in 1894, replaced a temporary iron church that was erected in 1878. It was built in stages between 1888 and 1905.

The last part to be completed was the spire and at this time the single bell in the tower was replaced by a set of 8 tubular bells. They are hung in a tall wooden frame in two rows of four, with bells 1,3,5,7 on one side and 2,4,6,8 on the other.

They are struck by hammers and played from a manual – roped left to right - in the north west corner on the first floor of the tower.

The bells were undoubtedly manufactured and installed by Messrs. Harrington, Latham & Co of Coventry. They were overhauled in 1925, 1966 and 1978.

Details of the Bells

   Length   Diameter
1   63.125"  3.75"
2   65.00"   3.75"
3   68.50"   3.75"
4   73.50"   3.75"
5   78.50"   3.75"
6   80.75"   3.75"
7   86.00    3.75"
8   93.375"  4.00"

Photo Gallery

None Available
You are here: Home Others Chimes Tubular Chimes Sparkhill SJE