SATLEY, St Saviour, 8 Tubular bells
History Of The Bells
This Grade II church was built betweein 1848 and 1850 at a cost of £6,000. It was designed in the Perpendicular style by R C Hussey. The tower is a later addition, 1871, paid for by C B Adderley. Around the same time, north and south transepts were built and the chancel extended as a traditional rectangular gothic style. The church suffered wartime damage and a restoration took place between 1948 and 1951.
There was likely to be a single bell in the tower when it was built but it now contains a set of eight tubular bells, most likely cast by Harrington, Latham & Co of Coventry, in the key of C# (the largest bell 93½” in length), given by Lord Norton and dedicated on 25 September 1904. They hang in the middle of the tower in a pitch-pine frame in two rows of four (1, 3, 5, 7 in one row and 2, 4, 6, 8 in the other). They are sounded from a chiming apparatus in the centre of the ringing room on the first floor. They were overhauled by Smith of Derby in 1976 at a cost of £380.
The tower also contains the bell from St.Basil’s, Deritend, which was installed here by Eayre & Smith in May 1979. It is hung for ringing. It was cast by Barwell of Birmingham in 1911 and it weighs 2½cwt in Eb
Details of the Bells
8 tubular bells by Harrington, Latham & Co, Coventry, tenor 93.50" in C#.