Font Size

SCREEN

Profile

Layout

Menu Style

Cpanel

EDGBASTON, St Mary and St Ambrose 8 Tubular Bells in C

Grid Reference 139/066901 Edgbaston, SS Mary & Ambrose Church - Source: A MAcRae Thompson
Postcode B15 7RL
Other Information Benefice Website 

History Of The Bells

This church displaced a mission church of Edgaston, St Bartholmew which was built in 1885 to accommodate the expanding population in Lower Edgbaston. St. Agnes, Moseley, were building their new parish church so they no longer required their wooden church. This was felt to be just what was needed on the Pershore Road so it was transported lock, stock and barrel to its present site on the corner of Pershore Road and Raglan Road. Space was left alongside it so that a more permanent church could be built in due course. A permanent church was built in red brick and terracotta in the Decorated style in 1897-8, the architect being J.A. Chatwin of Birmingham. Lord Calthorpe gave the site and the cost of building the church was chiefly met by the Misses Stokes of the Hawthorns, Edgbaston, who contributed £6000 for the purpose. The parish, carved out of Edgbaston, was assigned in 1903.

The tower contains a set of 8 tubular bells in C natural, almost certainly by Harrington, Latham and Co. of Coventry, from 1899.

(Most of the above information is quoted directly (with permission) from the research notes of Chris Pickford)

Details of the Bells

Bell  Length    Diameter
1      63.00"    3.75"
2      65.00"    3.75"
3      69.25"    3.75"
4      73.50"    3.75"
5      78.50"    3.75"
6      81.00"    3.75"
7      86.50"    3.75"
8      94.00"    4.00"

Photo Gallery

None Available
You are here: Home Others Chimes Tubular Chimes Edgbaston SS Mary & Ambrose