BIRMINGHAM, Holy Trinity, Birchfield 8 Tubular Bells in C
|Other Information||Chuch Website|
History Of The Bells
This church was built in 1863/4, as a daughter church in the parish of Handsworth, with a south-west tower topped by a spire. It became a parish in its own right in 1865.
Presumably a bell was installed at the building of the church, but no details of one are known. The tower now contains a set of eight tubular bells in the key of C natural put up in June 1897 for the Diamond Jubilee of Queen Victoria, as recorded on a plaque in the base of the tower. The bells hang in two rows of four in a wooden framework, with the even-numbered bells in one row and the odd-numbered ones in the other. They are chimed from a plucking manual on the first floor of the tower. They were overhauled locally in 1989.
There is nothing to confirm this in the tower, but the chime is almost certainly from Harrington, Latham and Co, Coventry.
(Most of the above information is quoted directly (with permission) from the research notes of Chris Pickford)
Details of the Bells
Bell Length Diameter
1 58¾" 3¼"
2 60¾" 3¼"
3 64½" 3¼"
4 67¾" 3¼"
5 73⅛" 3¼"
6 75⅛" 3¼"
7 79½" 3¼"
8 89⅛" 3⅝"