WYTHALL*, St Mary 8 Tubular Bells in C
Grid Reference 139/072748
History Of The Bells
This church is historically in Worcestershire. The present church was built in 1860-2 to replace a small brick church of 1777, which had in turn replaced an earlier building.
There was a central tower in the original plans, but it was not until 1907-8 that it was built and a set of tubular bells, by Harringtons of Coventry, installed. They hung in a tall wooden frame in two rows of four, with bells 1,3,5,7 on one side and 2,4,6,8 on the other. They were struck by hammers and played from a manual in a lower floor in the tower.
The church was closed some time before 1988 due to concerns about its condition. It was declared redundant in 1992 and converted into offices early this century after years of neglect.
There was a conventional bell, 2½cwt, diameter 22.875" cast by Matthew Bagley in 1689 that was hung for ringing. This had come from Kings Norton church, St Mary's being a daughter church to it. It has been returned to its original home.
Details of the Bells