Water Orton*, St Peter & St Paul 8 Tubular Bells
Grid Reference 139/177910
History Of The Bells
This church was originally a chapelry in the parish Aston, become a parish in its own right in 1871. The church itself became too small and a new church was built in 1878/9 at which time a North-West porch tower and spire (which was removed 1987) was provided. The old church was demolished in 1887
There were two bells in the old church. The larger of these was sent to Minworth when that church was built in 1909. The remaining bell, by Joseph Smith of Edgbaston, (16.25", 1cwt in B) his now hung for lever chiming in an Nineteenth Century frame for two bells.
Above the bell-frame are the remains of the framework for a set of 8 tubular bells. These were purchased from Erdington Parish Church (q.v.) when they installed a ring of bells in 1904. They were removed some time after 1955, as they were still in place when repairs were contemplated at this time.
Details of the Bells
8 Tubular bells