ERDINGTON – Sir Josiah Mason’s Orphanage 5, 14-2-3 in F (Demolished)
Grid Reference c139/112921
History Of The Bells
This is a lost clock chime. The orphanage was founded in 1862 by Josiah Mason (1795-1881), the Birmingham pen manufacturer and philanthropist, offering a refuge for poor children of the district. When completed the orphanage was a large three-storey building in red brick with two towers, one in the middle of the entrance front and one on the west side. On his death in 1881 Mason, who was knighted in 1872 for his charitable work, was buried in the chapel.
The first set of clock and bells was not satisfactory and a new, heavier set was cast and a large clock provided. They struck the "Westminster or "Cambridge" chimes and are the equivalent 1, 2, 3, 6 & 10 of a ring of 10.
The orphanage was closed in 1963 and demolished the following year. The weights below are those provided by Taylors who scrapped them.
(Most of the above information is quoted directly (with permission) from the research notes of Chris Pickford)
Details of the Bells
1 William Blews & Sons, Birmingham 1871 3-3-12 26.50" 1348Hz (E+38c)
2 William Blews & Sons, Birmingham 1871 4-0-18 27.625" 1188Hz (D+20c)
3 William Blews & Sons, Birmingham 1871 4-2-04 29.375" 1070Hz (C+38c)
4 William Blews & Sons, Birmingham 1871 9-3-16 38.25" 802Hz (G+39c)
5 William Blews & Sons, Birmingham 1871 14-2-03 43.125" 701Hz (F+6c)