COVENTRY*, Christ Church 8 Tubular Bells
Grid Reference 140/333787
History Of The Bells
Christ Church was the first of the new churches that were built in Coventry in the early part of the 19th century to cater for the city's growing population. It was built between 1829 and 1832, it being dedicated on 3rd August 1832. It was built to incorporate the fourteenth century tower of Greyfriars. It was initially a chapel of ease to St Michael's, now the cathedral, and was not a parish church until 1900. The church was destroyed in an air-raid on 10-11 April 1941. The church was demolished after the war, again leaving just the tower standing.
It was decided not to rebuild the church in the city centre, but to build a new one in the suburbs. This was done and a tower was provided and an 8-bell frame installed in this new church for a ring with a tenor of about 10cwt. Alas, it was never filled and was eventually sold and used in the augmentation scheme at Radford Semele (q.v.)
One bell was provided for the church by Taylors of Oxford in 1831 - weighing 3-2-11. It was hung for ringing, it being rehung by Taylors in 1910. A set of tubular bells was installed in the tower in December 1892, made by Harrington, Latham & Co of Coventry. They were first heard on Christmas Day. Within about 30 years they had been removed.
(Most of this information is quoted directly (with permission) from the research notes of Chris Pickford)
Details of the Bells
8 Tubular bells
|Christ Church Tower|