BIRMINGHAM, Market Hall, Bull Ring 5, 2-3-12 in E
History Of The Bells
In 1935-6 the old automaton clock from the Imperial Arcade (q.v.) was moved to the Market Hall. The five clock bells were recast by Taylors and the clock was restored by Wm. Potts & Sons of Leeds, the firm that made it in 1883. The figures were also restored. The new bells struck the hours and Westminster quarters. They were a great attraction when opened.
On the night of the 25th-26th August 1940, the Market Hall was bombed. The clock was completely destroyed in the fire. The solid oak figures were also destroyed. The sole remaining bell, the central bell, was re-hung in the burnt-out shell of the Market Hall.
(Most of the above information is quoted directly (with permission) from the research notes of Chris Pickford).
Details of the Bells
1. John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1935 0-1-21 12.875" 2462.0Hz (D#-7c)
2. John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1935 0-2-22 15.00" 2194.0Hz (C#-18c)
3. John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1935 1-0-06 16.94" 1954.0Hz (B-19c)
4. John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1935 2-0-23 22.00" 1464.5Hz (F#-18c)
5. John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1935 2-3-12 24.44" 1306.0Hz (E-17c)