Birmingham, St Andrew, Bordesley, 8 Tubular Bells
History Of The Bells
The church was built between 1844-46 and the parish was carved out of the then very large parish of Aston. The church had a tower and spire in which was put a small Mears bell. In 1891 a set of Harrington's tubular bells was placed in the tower, these being dedicated on 17 November. The cost was chiefly borne by John Corbett Esq who gave £100 towards the bell fund.
The church did not fare well in the next decade or so. It had to have railings put round it to "protect it from desecration" and it was badly damaged in a storm in 1894. Only minor repairs were made and the spire was removed. By July 1900 five of the tubes had been stolen and the church was partially demolished. A new incumbent decided to restore the church, which was done by 1908 and a new set of 8 tubes and a Barwell bell, 4-2-26, 28½" in diamter, were installed. The Barwell bell was rehung by Taylors in 1977/8 and they reported that only one tube remained.
At this time the church was again partially demolished and the rest restored. However, there were further problems with the church roof and the church was closed in 1982 and demolished in 1986. It's name remains in that of the name of Birmingham City's football ground.
(Most of the above information is quoted directly (with permission) from the research notes of Chris Pickford)
Details of the Bells
8 Tubes by Harrington, Latham & Co, Coventry, dedicated Easter Day 1908