Birmingham, St James the Less, Ashted 8 Tubular Bells
Grid Reference 139/083876
History Of The Bells
The church was founded in 1789 when a house built in 1777 for Dr. John Ash, the founder of the General Hospital, was converted into a chapel. It was consecrated in 1810 and became a separate parish from Aston in 1853. It was altered several times, including the building of the tower some time in the mid 19th century. It was restored in 1887/8 and in 1891 a set of 8 tubular bells was installed at a cost of £400.
The church was badly damaged during in an air raid in November 1940. The Bishop issued an order deferring restoration on 11 October 1945, and the building lay in ruins until subsequently demolished in about 1956.
(Most of the above information is quoted directly (with permission) from the research notes of Chris Pickford)
Details of the Bells
8 tubular bells by Harrison, Latham & Co, Coventry
|The Ruined Church|