EDGBASTON, Birmingham University, Chamberlain Memorial Tower 5, 121-2-11 in G
Grid Reference 139/048835
History Of The Bells
This clock tower stands 100m (327ft) tall and is said to be the tallest clock tower in the world. It was built as the result of a large donation and is of red brick. It is based on the Mangia Towerin Siena, Italy.
The tower was built in 1907-9 by Waring White of London. Thomas Rowbotham, the main builder of the campus made the very generous gift of some £2000 for the clock and bells for the new tower. The original electric lift, installed by Otis, still remains in use.
The tower was built from the inside, without the use of scaffolding and as a result needed pointing by 1914, The clock is by J B Joyce of Whitchurch, the dials being 17 feet 6 inches in diameter.
The bells, forming 1, 2, 3, 6 & 10 of a "ring" of 10, were cast by Taylors and rehung by the same firm in 1981 due to problems with the grillage.
(Most of the above information is quoted directly (with permission) from the research notes of Chris Pickford).
Details of the Bells
1 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1908 9-1-04 34.19" 1008.0Hz (B+35c)
2 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1908 10-3-26 37.50" 898.0Hz (A+35c)
3 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1908 15-2-00 42.19" 800.0Hz (G+35c)
4 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1908 35-1-20 55.875" 600.0Hz (D+37c)
5 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1908 121-2-11 83.50" 401.0Hz (G+39c)