Font Size

SCREEN

Profile

Layout

Menu Style

Cpanel

SMETHWICK, Council House 3 11-0-9 in G#

Grid Reference 139/023881 Smethwick Council House - Source: Sandwell Borough Council
Postcode  B66 3NT 

History Of The Bells

The Council House was built in 1905-7 at a cost of £17,000. The architect was Frederic J Gill of Smethwick. The building has a slate-hung tower and cupola containing a chiming clock for which Taylors supplied three clock bells in November 1906. The bells hang in the cupola above the dials. All three bells are hung “dead” from wooden beams in the cupola, the quarter bells on one beam (on the side facing the road) and the hour bell on another parallel beam. They are sounded with clock hammers only. The clock was supplied by John Smith & Sons of Derby, with hour strike and ding-dong quarter chimes. 

(Most of the above information is quoted directly (with permission) from the research notes of Chris Pickford)

Details of the Bells

1. John Taylor & Co, Loughborough  1906   2-0-26  22.00"   1584.0Hz (G+18c) 
2. John Taylor & Co, Loughborough  1906   4-0-16  27.625"  1186.0Hz (D+17c) 
3. John Taylor & Co, Loughborough  1906  11-0-09  39.75"    790.0Hz (G+13c)

You are here: Home Others Chimes Clock Chimes Smethwick Council House