Font Size




Menu Style


NEW MILVERTON, St Mark 5, 14-2-11 in G

Grid Reference 151/264399 Milverton Church - Source: Genuki
Postcode CV32 6DL 
Other Information Church Website 

History Of The Bells

The church, in Rugby Road, New Milverton, was built and endowed in 1879 by the Rev. E. Carus-Wilson and E. Carus-Wilson, esq. in memory of their sister Lady (Trevor) Wheler. It was designed by Sir George Gilbert Scott in red brick with stone dressings, in 14th-century style. It consists of chancel with north chapel, transepts, clearstoried nave, north and south aisles, south porch, and a large west tower with battlements and pinnacles.

These are a clock chime with the fourth quarter bell hung for ringing. The 4th is the old bell from the previous church, being by Thomas Mears, 1835. It is hung for ringing in a frame dated 1880. Taylors provided new ringing fittings for it in 1917. The others are hung dead.

They are actually clock bells, but all five can be chimed from an Ellacombe chiming manual. The Mears bell has had its canons removed, but the Taylor bells retain their canons.

Details of the Bells

1 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1884 3-0-12
2 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1884 3-3-24
3 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1884 5-2-18
4 Thomas Mears, Whitechapel 1835 9-3-15
5 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1884 14-2-11 42.50"

Photo Gallery

milverton_east_small milverton_west_small milverton2_small
The Church - Looking East The Church - Looking West  The Bells

You are here: Home Others Chimes Clock Chimes New Milverton