Font Size

SCREEN

Profile

Layout

Menu Style

Cpanel

TILE CROSS*, St Peter (New Church), Haywood Road 6, 4-0-9 in D

Grid Reference 139/160867 Tile Cross Church - Source: Bill Dargue
Postcode B33 0LH
Other Information Church Website

History Of The Bells

The present church was built in 1968, replacing a mission hall. The main façade has a plain wall with six bells in apertures in the brickwork. As seen from the street below, bells (left to right) 3, 1 and 2 hang in the upper level with 4, 6 and 5 below.

The bells incorporate the metal (total weight 5-2-21) of bells salvaged from other churches in the area including St.John’s, Tile Cross (an uninscribed 14” bell), St.Peter’s, Tile Cross (a 23” bell by C & G Mears 1856 - believed to have come from St.Matthias, Birmingham), St.Cuthbert’s, Winson Green (a 25” bell of c.1885-6 by Charles Carr) and a bell (22½” diameter) from a scrap metal dealer.

The bells are hung dead and sounded by trigger-action clappers from an Ellacombe chiming manual on the gallery at the back of the church

Details of the Bells

1 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough  1968  1-0-07  17.00"   1956.0Hz  (B-17c)
2 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough  1968  1-1-17  19.00"   1742.0Hz  (A-18c)
3 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough  1968  1-3-13  21.125"  1552.0Hz  (G-18c)
4 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough  1968  2-0-19  22.00"   1465.0Hz  (F#-18c)
5 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough  1968  2-3-09  24.50"   1305.5Hz  (E-18c)
6 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough  1968  4-0-09  27.625"  1163.0Hz  (D-17c)

Photo Gallery

None Available
You are here: Home Others Chimes Bell Chimes 4+ Bell Chimes Tile Cross