RATLEY, St Peter 4, 5-1-1 in B
|Other Information||Benefice Website|
History Of The Bells
These bells are hung dead as a chime. They have all been quarter turned. They retain their canons and hang in a massive seventeenth century four bell frame. There are bearing indents in the vacant pit, suggesting that there may once have been a ring of four in this tower. The tower has a pronounced lean to the north and west.
The bells were hung on deadstocks as a chime by Mears and Stainbank in July 1929 at a cost of £51.
They are sounded by means of ropes attached to the old ringing clappers and chime from a manual at the base of the tower. Due to the tower lean it is not considered strong enough to house a ringing peal.
Details of the Bells
1 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1985 2-3-20
2 George Mears,London 1859 3-2-02
3 Henry Bagley, Chacombe 1677 3-3-20
4 Matthew Bagley, Chacombe 1763 5-1-01 31.125"