Font Size

SCREEN

Profile

Layout

Menu Style

Cpanel

KENILWORTH, St John the Evangelist 10, 9-2-4 in G#

Grid Reference 140/293710 Kenilworth SJE Church - Source: M Chester
Postcode CV8 1HY
Other Information Church Website

History Of The Bells

A nice church with a spire just off the A46. The tower looks like it should have a ring of bellsbells. Unfortunately for us ringers, while it does have bells, they are only hung for chiming. The foundation stone of the church was laid in August of 1851 and it was consecrated in 1854. The cost of the building was £5,000.

During the building of the church a single bell, hung for ringing, was installed. It was cast by C. & G. Mears in 1852 and weighed 4-1-6. In 1931 Taylors rehung this bell on ball bearings. After World War II, the old bell was scrapped and it was replaced by a chime of ten bells, which were cast by Taylors in 1949-50. The chime was given in memory of Thomas Ball. Two additional semitones were added to the original order, hence their later casting date. The bells are an octave with a flat 2nd and flat 4th.

The bells are hung dead in a two tier steel framework, 4-8 below the rest, and sounded from a clavier in a room half way up the tower.

Details of the Bells

1  John Taylor & Co, Loughborough  1949  1-3-11
2  John Taylor & Co, Loughborough  1949  2-0-14
2b John Taylor & Co, Loughborough  1950  2-1-16
3  John Taylor & Co, Loughborough  1949  2-2-25
4  John Taylor & Co, Loughborough  1949  3-0-19
4b John Taylor & Co, Loughborough  1950  3-3-09
5  John Taylor & Co, Loughborough  1949  4-2-06
6  John Taylor & Co, Loughborough  1949  5-0-06
7  John Taylor & Co, Loughborough  1949  6-3-15
8  John Taylor & Co, Loughborough  1950  9-2-04  37.00"

Photo Gallery

None Available
You are here: Home Others Chimes Bell Chimes 4+ Bell Chimes Kenilworth St John Evan