LONGFORD, St Thomas 8, 4-1-8 in D
History Of The Bells
This church is in the far north end of Coventry, close to Junction 3 of the M6. It is a brick built church with a spire on what was, until recently, the main road into Coventry from the Bedworth area and the motorway. At one time it contained a ringing peal of three bells.
It was built as a chapel of ease to Foleshill and was consecrated on 14th April 1974. It became a parish church in its own right in 1904.
The original bell of 1874 (weight 2-3-7) became the tenor of a ring of three when two bells were added in 1886. In 1892 five more small bells were added by Barwell to make a chime of eight. Being unsatisfactory, these were replaced by a new set by Taylors in 1904.
The bells are hung in the old three bell Barwell ringing frame and are chimed from the base of the tower. .
There is also a further bell by Taylor, 1902 - identical in size and pitch to the third bell - weighing 1-0-4. It is also hung for chiming.
Details of the Bells
1 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1904 0-3-13
2 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1904 0-3-24
3 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1904 1-0-04
4 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1904 1-2-23
5 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1904 1-3-06
6 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1904 2-0-23
7 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1904 3-0-11
8 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1904 4-1-08
|Two views of the bells, courtesy of Chris Pickford.
Where the bearings were situated in the frame for
the ring of three can clearly be seen in these pictures