OLD MILVERTON, St James 3: 6cwt in C
History Of The Bells
The old church was a small building, apparently mainly of the 13th century, with chancel, nave with north aisle, and west tower. By the end of the 18th century the greater part of the tower had been removed and replaced by a timber-framed tower with a pyramidal cap, and it is probable that the whole edifice was in poor condition. It was pulled down and completely rebuilt on the same site in 1879–80 from designs by John Gibson, at the cost of Lord Charles and Lady Ann Bertie Percy. The present building consists of chancel, north organ-chamber and vestry, north aisle, south porch, and west tower.
Until recently these bells were unringable due to problems with the tower and badly positioned Ellacombe hammers. The simple wooden beam framework was probably installed when the tower was rebuilt in 1880, but the fittings are older, early C19.
An Ellacombe type chiming apparatus was installed, possibly when the tower was rebuilt.
The bells were hung dead for chiming by White's of Appleton in September of 2013.
This well cared for church can be seen from the A46 at the junction for Warwick and Leek Wootton, but it cannot be reached from it! Get a map and come to it from the Leamington Spa direction or use your sat nav carefully.
Details of the Bells
1 John Warner, London 1863 3½cwt 26.00"
2 John Warner, London 1863 4½cwt 28.00"
3 William Chamberlain, London c1460 6cwt 31.375"