COMBROOKE, 3, 2-1-16
|Other Information||Benefice Website|
History Of The Bells
The alternative spelling of ""Combroke" is often used in connection with this village.
The original church was modified in Tudor times, with the chancel being rebuilt again in 1831. The present building was erected in 1866, to a design by John Gibson, paid for by the Dowager Lady Margaret Willoughby de Brook of Compton Verney, keeping the existing chancel. Until the sale of the Compton Verney estate in 1929, Combrook was a "closed" village, entirely owned by the Lord of the Manor, who could determine who lived there, and Combrook today is still considered to be one of the best-preserved estate villages in the country.
These bells are now hung dead as a chime. Previously they were a swing chime. They are contemporary with the rebuilding of the church and replaced two old bells in the previous structure, each of about 1½cwt. They hang in an enclosed turret with a spirelet over the west end of the nave. The bells cost £49 2s 8d, plus £19 for hanging them.
They have lever clappers, the largest bell hanging above the other two.
Details of the Bells
1 Mears and Stainbank, London 1867 1-1-05 19.00"
2 Mears and Stainbank, London 1867 1-3-08 20.00"
3 Mears and Stainbank, London 1867 2-1-16 22.00"
|The Church - Looking East|