Font Size

SCREEN

Profile

Layout

Menu Style

Cpanel

BARCHESTON, St Martin 3, 10cwt

Grid Reference 151/264399 Barcheston Church - Source: A MacRae Thompson
Postcode CV36 5AY
Peals None
Date Lost 1929
Other Information Church History
Benefice Website

History Of The Bells

The earliest suviving parts of the church, the Chancel and the Nave, date from the end of he 12th century, and a North Aisle was added early in the 13th century. The tower was added fourteenth century. An attempt was made in the next century to correct its tilt to the west by buttressing the southwest and northwest corners and rebuilding the upper stage; a further buttress was added between the earlier two in the sixteenth century, blocking the windows which light the chambers. Major repairs and extensive restoration took place in 1869/70.

These bells are hung dead as a chime. They have all been quarter turned. They retain their canons and hang in a massive seventeenth century four bell frame. There are bearing indents in the vacant pit, suggesting that there may once have been a ring of four in this tower. 

The bells were hung on deadstocks as a chime by Mears and Stainbank in July 1929 at a cost of £51.T

They are sounded by means of ropes attached to the old ringing clappers and chime from a manual at the base of the tower. As the tower leans significantly it is not considered strong enough to house a ringing peal.

Details of the Bells

1 Matthew Bagley, Chacombe       1775   6¾cwt  33.25"  982.0Hz (B-10c)
2 Richard Sanders, Bromsgrove    1720   7½cwt  35.25"  880.0Hz (A+0c)
3 Bartholomew Atton, Buckingham  1596  10cwt   38.375" 778.5Hz (G-12c)

Photo Gallery

None Available
You are here: Home Others Chimes Bell Chimes 3 Bell Chimes Barcheston